Monday, March 20, 2006

What is real??

Do you ever feel like this life just isn't real? Sometimes I feel like I'm walking in a cloud. The mundane world just at times holds no appeal for me. Does it really matter how fast you can drive? Does it really matter if people in the office know more things than you do? I try to remind myself time after time what really is important in my life. It's my family and friends. All the rest is just stuff I have to go through.

I long for the quiet life, where things move at a slower pace. Where making my candles mean something.

I had a woman buy a candle from me this weekend and her attitude toward the candle bother me. It was a large shamrock I wasn't going to sell any way but had it on display. She walked over to the display and asked if the shamrock were on sale because it was after the fact anyway. I told her no they weren't on sale. She walked away. First of all just because it was past St. Paddys day doesn't mean the candles are worth less.... .Any way.... She came back later and asked about the large one. I told her it was $10, now that is a lot less than I normally would ask, but thought I would let it go. She picked it up, brought it over to me and started to point out a few lines in the candle. She asked me about the lines and was it still $10.00. I was starting to get a bit upset about this, but told her it was just the way the wax settled, it would still burn the same. She said well it's for a present. I did at that time advise her it was handmade and it would have a few flaws, it's not like buying from the store.. She took it anyway... I almost didn't want to sell it to her at that point. I felt she didn't appreciate the fact that it was handmade. Yes you can buy candles cheaper in Walmart, or Target, but they are not handmade. They won't burn as nice as the ones I make.

Was I taking this too personal??? I don't know... It's like she was saying it wasn't good enough to pay full price.... Sigh.. It still cost money to make.. It still takes time to make....

Why do people not appreciate handmade items??? The world needs to slow down a bit and enjoy the nicer things in life.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I thought amusing was that if she was so worried about the lines and considered them flaws, why would she be buying it for someone as a gift??

Aside from that, I did a search for Eola Sunday Market and found your blog. I thought I would mention that there will be some special entertainment at the market on April 9th. I represent the Orlando Lindy Exchange of 2004 ("lindy" as in "lindy hop") and I've worked it out with Jae that we'll bring in Atomic Entertainment's DJ PJ, as well as a few other guest DJ's, to spin some swing, big band and jump blues music on the sidewalk adjacent to the market. We have flyers and I've been putting them up at business around the area. If you know of places to put flyers and you'd like a copy I'd be glad to e-mail it to you. Or if you would just like more info you can contact me at amy@amydavenport.com. We'll be bringing in a lot of dancers and their friends - no performances or anything, just fun, casual, social dancing under the Florida blue sky for anyone and everyone. And it's free! Hopefully with the advertising a lot of people will come out for the entertainment and as a result your sales may increase that day! Either way, it should be really fun, see you there.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Zee said...

It's sad what happens nowadays with art. It goes underappreciated too often.

As an artist, and as my personal rule, my choices are all usually handmade. Particularly when it comes to candles. :)

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home